Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Way-Back Machine -- "A Shrine for Things Taken for Granted"

In case you don't remember the Way-Back (WABAC) Machine, you can take a look at my blog entry for Friday, February 23, 2007.

From my Journal entry of July 30, 2000:

A book listed in "A Common Reader," August 2000 catalog, is They Have a Word for It by Howard Rheingold. It is a gathering of foreign words that have no equivalent in our tongue. One mentioned is the Japanese hari kuyo which is "a shrine where broken sewing needles are put to rest after a life of service." That's incredible! We just toss things. What if we had shrines composed of faithful objects that had served us well? What if we just developed a profound sense of appreciation for things we take for granted? Say ink pens -- old shoes -- car keys -- etc. We need a shrine dedicated to "all things taken for granted!"

3 comments:

smalltownreader said...

I loved this post! As I read, I thought of all the 19 cent Bic pens I went through from 8th grade! I can even remember when we were finally "promoted" to pens! MORE POSTS, PLEASE!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

The Mary said...

I need you to update! You haven't in over two years!